Consultation on proposals between 16 August to 17 September
Consultation on the Royal Parade and Mayflower Street schemes is now open from 16 August to 17 September and we would like to hear your comments or ideas on the proposals.
You can take the online survey or alternatively, please see the sections; how to submit comments and where you can see the plans to find out more.
The Royal Parade and Mayflower Street schemes aim to encourage more of us to use public transport to travel to the city centre, improve bus journey times as well as curb emissions and reduce the congestion currently seen on Royal Parade.
The plans will mean that a number of bus services that serve the city centre will operate from Mayflower Street rather than Royal Parade. Royal Parade will also see measures put in place to better organise queues for buses, improved passenger information and improved waiting areas for bus passengers.
We are still at an early stage in the scheme’s design but improvements being considered include:
- changes to layout of bus stops on Royal Parade to improve bus movements
- new bus shelters, positioned within new bus stop layout to make more space for pedestrians
- removal of railings in central reservation to modernise the look and feel of the area
- increasing the number of bus stops on Mayflower Street from one to three
- moving a number of bus services that currently operate from Royal Parade to Mayflower Street instead. These particular services have yet to be decided, but this reallocation of departure stops will reduce congestion at bus stops currently seen on Royal Parade.
The cost of the scheme is around £2.6 million, with a £1.9 million contribution from the Transforming Cities Fund (TCF), £400,000 from Plymouth City Council and a £300,000 contribution from Historic England.
When will the works begin
Construction is expected to start in 2022 and take approximately 12 months.
Consultation on proposals
We’re carrying out consultation on the proposals from 16 August to 19 September and are interested in receiving any comments or ideas that you have to feed into the process.
Scheme plans and proposals
How to see the plans in person
From 16 August 2021 there will be an exhibition of the proposals on display at the Central Library. Proposals will be available to view during the opening hours throughout the consultation period.
Central Library opening hours are:
- Monday to Friday: 9am to 6pm
- Saturday: 10am to 4pm
The Central Library Address is:
- 167 to 171 Armada Way, Plymouth, PL1 1HZ
You can view downloadable versions of the displays here:
How to submit comments
You can take the online survey or submit comments in the following ways:
- complete and submit a questionnaire at the Central Library (see above for details on its opening hours)
- by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (with subject Royal Parade)
- by writing to: Strategic Transport Team, Plymouth City Council, Ballard House, West Hoe Road, Plymouth PL1 3BJ (Ref: Royal Parade).